Makeover Momma has never been more excited than to welcome our new Senior Editor Corey Holmes, and we wanted you to get to know her too! Corey is a self-processed “foodie”, so we had plenty to ask her about her favorite nutritional treats… (Please give her a warm welcome!)
1) Why did you create your (dessert + alcohol inspired) blog Wasty Cakes?
“I have always been enthralled with the glamour of retro dinner parties, flaming desserts, wine reduction sauces, candlelight and old-fashions (the cocktail and the mannerisms!). I just hadnâ€™t found another blog that experiments with some of these desserts, and so decided to write one myself. Through it I have found some party favorites like my prosecco and pomegranate jello mold-yum!”
2) You are extremely interested in food, but you’re also a full-time dance instructor: what food fuels YOU the most for a busy day of teaching and dancing?
“This tip is actually my husbandâ€™s deal, but it works great for both of us. Every night before bed he throws 8 ounces each of Acai juice, bananas (we buy them on sale and throw them in the freezer ASAP), a red frozen fruit (strawberries), a blue frozen fruit (blueberries), a orange frozen fruit (mangos), and of milk or almond milk. He places it in the refrigerater overnight, when he wakes up he blends, takes half with him to the metro, and leaves half for me!”
3) If you’re going to create a healthy meal, what ingredients do you love using?
“Avacados, sweet potatoes, spinach, coconut oil… I look for extra places to throw these things in, from scrambled eggs to breakfast muffins!”
4) If you’re going to indulge in a special treat, what is your favorite thing (that’s super worth the calories?)
“Sometimes, well…to be honest, once a month I need Maggie Mooâ€™s Ice cream in Peanut Butter Galaxy. I have tried their other flavors, and, delicious as they are, I always find myself asking, â€œwhy do I deviate?â€ Something about the mix of chocolate ice cream, peanut butter, Reeseâ€™s cups and Reeses Pieces just blow my bad PMS mood and cramps out of the water never to return! (At least not for another 28 days).”
5) If you could make three of your favorite dinners, what would they be?
* Sesame crusted seared Ahi Tuna with kale and mushrooms sautÃ©ed in chili sesame oil and soy sauce
* Pesto-Goat cheese stuffed Portabello Mushrooms with sweet potato fries and key lime honey mustard.
* My favorite crock pot dish-spicy braised beef with sweet potatos over couscous. The recipe is from Real Simple Magazine, but I seriously adore it!
* Speak Up: What do you the most about Corey and her taste in food? Would you ever want to try this recipe?