Celebrate your curves (like mom Jennifer Hudson andÂ Rachel Weisz) with Jones of New York and celebrity style expert, Llyod Boston…
Â Do you ever wonder how you can dress your curves, without cramping your style? Makeover Momma was able to get an exclusive interview with long-time Today show stylist Lloyd Boston. Although Lloyd hosts the Fine Living Network show Closet Cases (and is author of one of our favorite books Before You Out That On), he is also an expert on dressing a woman’s body to flatter her individual shape. Lloyd has gotten together with Jones of New York, to create a beautiful Plus Size assortment of designs (and he spills the beans on how you can enjoy your curves too!)
1)Â We love how you give lifestyle andÂ fashion makeovers to busy women, on your Fine Living show Closet Cases. What should every woman do right now to theirÂ closets, that can improve their personal style?
“Thanks!Â I love hosting Closet Cases on FLN.Â There is a story in every womanâ€™s closetâ€”and I love uncovering and celebrating it. This season, I recommend returning to, what I like to call, The Closet Classics.Â My top three would be:
– A Gray Separate: Could be a skirt, tailored jacket, or even a cozy cardigan.Â Gray was all over the runways for Fall 2009â€”and it is an easy way to celebrate a trend, while remaining classic.
-A Crisp White Shirt: You would be surprised at how many women donâ€™t own a quality version.Â The JNY Easy Care is my favorite.Â It is wash, dry, wearâ€”and will instantly brighten up your existing wardrobeâ€”whether paired with a sharp pencil skirt, or dark denim even.
-The Statement Coat: Getting Style Miles mean maximizing your existing wardrobeâ€”just by adding a few new key seasonal pieces.Â A bold statement coat in a lipstick red, faux fur, plaid are great, entrance-making options.Â Investing in this first, will give all your old clothes new life.
2) Many new mothers feel self conscious aboutÂ their curvier body after having a baby. What do you think are the three bodyÂ parts that every woman should call attention to, to help them look slimmerÂ in their clothing?
“Thatâ€™s an easy one!Â Shoulders never let you down.Â Show them off in modern, one-shoulder tops, or asymmetrical blouses. Legs should be strong this season.Â If yours havenâ€™t bounced back this seasonâ€”knee boots are a visually slimming trick. Lastly, have fun with pops of unexpected color as your body returns to you.Â Bold hues near the face can bring warmth to the skin.Â A shockingly bright handbag can detract the eye from the tummy in transition. ”
3) If aÂ curvier woman wants to flatter her upper body, what to do you think is oneÂ of the most universally flattering necklines?
“I vote for the deep v-neck.Â It will create a heart-shape line around the bust, and create the illusion of an hourglass frame, when paired with fitted bottoms.”
4) Many mommas are excited about the Jones NewÂ York Plus Size clothing line. What is your favorite thing about thisÂ line?
“The breadth of it.Â Most womenâ€™s collections offer fewer options than that of a brandâ€™s missy collection.Â JNY spreads the love!”
5) You offer fabulousÂ advice on Closet Cases, so weÂ have to ask… What is the best bit of style advice that someone ever taughtÂ you?
“My mom!Â â€œStyle begins, where the rules end.â€Â And she was so right!”
* Do you agree with Lloyd’s fantastic and fashionable advice? What is your top trick for flattering curves?
Â Images courtesy of Essence and People.