If your kids or family love anything shaped like a nugget, try making them a healthier alternative by using protein-packed beans and plenty of spice. This Makeover Mommaâ„¢ recipe for Chickpea Patties is easy to make, nutritious for you and your family, and gluten-free*. Try mixing it up by using other varieties of beans or vegetables, eating with a knife and fork (like a crab patty) or letting little ones dip in a variety of fun sauces and spreads. Check out our favorite double-duty diet idea here, or visit websites with plenty of vegan recipes (like Vegalicious.org).
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 can of cannelloni beans (white beans)
- 1 cup of cooked vegetables (like squash, zucchini or carrots)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 egg
- Garlic powder, Italian seasoning and additional spices for flavor
– Begin by preparing your vegetable as preferred (cook frozen veggies in microwave, cook in a pan, or simply re-use leftovers from another night). Add your cooked vegetable of choice to a food processor or blender…
– Open, drain and pour both cans of beans into the food processor, along with one cracked egg and tablespoons of olive oil. Blend the entire mixture for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth.
– Take large spoonfuls of the mixture (or use an ice-cream scooper for circular shapes) and place on a flat, greased pan. Once the pan is covered in scoops, cook in the oven for at least 30 minutes (or until patties are slightly crispy and lightly tan on top).
– Let patties cool, and serve with dipping sauce of choice.
What is your favorite way to sneak protein into your family’s diet? Share with us!
*All meal suggestions at Makeover Mommaâ„¢ will include allergen information and suggestions for children with allergies, celiac disease, or additional health concerns. The above recipeÂ is gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian.