Â Winter weather can make even the most angelic of eaters want to curl up with a cup of soupâ€¦Â and a side of triple-sized-carbo-bread and super-choco-cake. Comfort food seems to be the catch of cold weather monthsÂ and holiday merriment, so try making healthier choices with these quick, simple meals…
- Warm Easy Breakfast: Quaker Oatmeal instant oatmeal (aim for 150 calories or less), with Â¼ cup of walnuts, and Â½ cup ofÂ dried cranberries.Â
- A Seasonal Smoothie: TryÂ a festive egg-nog smoothieÂ recipe: blend 8 oz. of Silk Soy Nog (or similiar low-calorie alternative),Â one 60 to 80 calorie container of Dannon Light n’ FitÂ vanilla yogurt, 1/2 a banana or cup of ice (for texture), andÂ pinch of cinnamon (it raises the metabolism!)
- Toasty Deli-Style Lunch: Try Healthy Choiceâ€™s new grilled Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Panini, with one 100-calorie mini bite bag of Sun Chips on the side. It just soundsâ€¦warm, doesnâ€™t it?
- Take-Out Worthy Hot Dinner: Heat up a whole grain Lean Pocket in Supreme Pizza flavor (because nothing says comfort food like pizza), and add a small side salad. If salad seems like too much effort, grab pre-packaged spinach, pre-cut baby carrots and cucumber, andÂ add 2 tablespoons ofÂ your clear dressing of choice…done!
- Pie-Inspired Parfait: Take a Yoplait Light yogurt in â€œApple Turnoverâ€ flavor and mixÂ with aÂ 100-calorie pack of Blue Diamond almonds, and Â¼ cup of chopped apple (or fruit of choice.) Itâ€™s like a calcium-filled apple pie!
*All meal ideas and suggestions at Makeover Mommaâ„¢ will offer gluten-free alternatives, for children with celiac disease, allergies, or other health concerns.Â The above recipesÂ are not dairy or soy free.
Photo courtesy of Smoothie Web.