Â Ordering take-out is very rarely a healthy experience for the family, so why not create your own, nutritious version of pizza at home? Although this Makeover Mommaâ„¢ recipe for Artichoke-Cheesy Pizza may be daring for most kids taste buds (and it does take time to prepare), your little ones will quickly adjust to the new flavors (without ever knowing they’re full of vitamins and nutrients). Plus, you’ll be burning calories while making this gluten-free*, lactose-free* dish as a family!.
- 1/2 package of gluten-free pizza crust (like Namaste Foods brand)
- 2 cups of crumbled goat cheese (just don’t tell the kids!)
- 1 can of quartered, drained artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes (or tomatoes of choice)
- 1 can or container of sliced mushrooms (or other vegetable of choice)
- 1 cup of gluten-free, antioxidant rich tomato sauce (like Newman’s Own marinara)
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Italian seasoning and garlic powder for taste
– Begin creating your pizza by starting with the dough first. Mix the gluten-free pizza dough according to package directions (typically adding olive oil and water), mixing in a bowl by hand (or machine), and adding additional Italian and garlic spices for flavor.
– Spread the dough on a small, greased pan (forming a crust around outer rim, if prefered), place in the oven for roughlyÂ 20 minutes at 450, and begin preparing the toppings seperately (chopping tomatoes, draining artichokes, etc.)
– After the pizza crust is firm and starting to bubble slightly, there should be a fair amount of olive oil resting on top. Remove from the oven, drain the oil, and set aside (removing crust from the pan). Take time applying tomato sauce, goat cheese, artichoke, tomatoes, mushrooms, and/or any other toppings you prefer (try sliced peppers and onions, black olives, or turkey sausage).
– Slide the pizza (without pan) directly into the oven again, and let it cook for an additional 10 to 15Â minutes. Remove from oven, let cool, and serve warm!
Makes: 1 personal size pizza (feeds 2). Makes more if using entire package of gluten-free crust…
*All meal suggestions at Makeover Mommaâ„¢ will include allergen information and suggestions for children with allergies, celiac disease, or additional health concerns. The above recipe can be made gluten-free andÂ dairy-free.