Â As the holidays quickly approach, there are two seasonal desserts we tend to avoid: fruit cake and bread pudding. Luckily, this MakeoverÂ Mommaâ„¢Â originalÂ recipe puts a sweet spin on these classic desserts,Â with aÂ flavor all of its own. It’s low in calorie (using healthier versions of bread and eggs), and has a beautiful fusion of crisp fruits, crunchy nuts, and creamy vanilla flavors. It’s simple to create, yet delivers an ingenious flavor (with a style thatâ€™s perfect for a warm winter dessert).
* 3 slices of gluten-free dry white bread (like Ener G Light TapiocaÂ Loaf)
* 1 cup of Egg Beaters (or low-calorie equivalent to 2 regular eggs)
* Â½ cup vanilla flavored soymilk (or Light rice, almond or skim milk)
* 4 tbsp. of vanilla flavored, instantÂ pudding (like Kraft Jell-O Fat Free, Sugar Free instant pudding)
* Â¼ cup chopped gluten-free walnuts
* Â½ cup of finely chopped apple
* 4 tbsp. of dried cranberries
* 2 tbsp. organic brown sugar
* 2 tbsp. cinnamon
– Toast gluten-free white bread in a gluten-free safe toaster oven or toaster, until lightly browned and warm. Cut bread into small chunks, and place in a small baking dish greased with butter.
– Mix the Egg Beaters, vanilla soymilk, vanilla pudding, and brown sugar in a small bowl separately, beating until completely mixed.
– Pour the mixture over the bread pieces, and add additional walnut, chopped apples, and dried cranberries on top. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed, and sprinkle with an additional dose of cinnamon.
– Bake in oven at 350 for 30 minutes or more (oven time will vary), until mixture is a pudding consistency.
What is your favorite, low calorie holiday dessert?
*All meal suggestions at Makeover Mommaâ„¢ will include allergen information and suggestions for children with allergies, celiac disease, or additional health concerns. The above recipeÂ is gluten-free, low calorie and vegetarian.